Saturday 31 July 2010

Message to the bully-boys




When we were scratching around for a suitable game to attend this year for our Rampant Annual General Meeting (RAGM), we did toy with the idea of going to Lords rather than the Oval. Certainly, Lords is a most beautiful ground: we headed there a few years ago when the 2008 Notts v Surrey game ended up finishing prematurely – a bit like the way the Surrey v Middlesex game looks like heading today – and went on the tour. The weather was beautiful, the ground was magnificent and the company wonderful. I have happy memories of Lords, and that is why I was quite keen that the RAGM did not happen there this year, because I didn’t want that lovely day spoiled in my mind.

It’s sad but true that there is a small minority of boo-boys in cricket. Let’s not single out Middlesex, because every club will have them, no doubt the worst of their behaviour fuelled by alcohol. I’m choosing my words carefully here, but there are still a rather unforgiving section of Middlesex supporters who seem to delight in abusing Mr Ramprakash whenever they get the opportunity. Not just on the way to the crease, or on the way back, but throughout the game. You’d think the passage of time might have dampened the rawness of their feelings, but not a bit of it. And that leads me to the conclusion that they just enjoy behaving like idiots for the sake of it.

It didn’t take a lot to work out that this was going to happen, hence my reluctance to set foot at Lords during a game. However, my friends who did attend had their enjoyment of what was a damned fine performance by Middlesex completely ruined by the disgusting behaviour of the louts sitting nearby, so much so that they had to move seats.

I know that you cannot stop people thinking what they want, or saying what they want, but surely there’s no place for this behaviour in cricket? And can I suggest that Middlesex actually looks at the behaviour of their fans in the same way that Glamorgan has, because this small minority are doing their club no favours at all. I doubt they will, after all they’ve had ten years to do something about it. I personally will never go anywhere near Lords again.

To those who I am referring, just take heed of this. For every time you shout abuse at Ramps, we will be clapping twice as loud for him.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't go to Middlesex again.
    And what really worries me is that because grown men were doing the abusing, younger boys, probably 13/14 year olds, were doing the same. And they were mere tots when Ramps left Middlesex. But the boys were also abusing one of their own players who was fielding in front of them !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's disgusting, it's brainless and I deplore it in any sport, but I find it especially sad to find this unacceptable behaviour in cricket. So much for the gentleman's game. I guess that ethos went out the window many years ago.

    ReplyDelete