Tuesday 10 August 2010

No play day two




I’ve had enough Ork-dodging at half past three in the afternoon, so I have taken the day off tomorrow. I am venturing up town but mum is tagging along in search of birthday presents, so fingers crossed I’ll be back in time to hear a bit more of the cricket than I normally might expect in the course of a working day. Not keen on crowds but if we head off early enough we’ll probably miss the worst of them.

Instead of the tram service Edinburgh City Council would be better employed creating a go-slow pedestrian area for the elderly, infirm or those who just like crawling at a snails pace along the pavements. It’s one of my chief bugbears, and even although my understanding (and appreciation of how difficult it can get for those no longer in the first flush of youth) has grown over the years, my impatience has not diminished. My arthritic cervical vertebrae tell me to show some sympathy, but I still struggle with the urge to give all dawdlers a kick in the fanlight.

And I used to be such a nice person, once...

As anticipated there was no cricket today in the game against Sussex, which is a real pity because the weather has really let Sussex wriggle off the hook. Typical, really. When weather does disrupt a game you always pray it’s going to happen in your favour. Like being 704 runs behind having followed on, and you are the last batsman in! Not so today, however. This will have eaten into a large chunk of the game and I suppose Surrey will want to bat big in the vain hope they can bowl Sussex out on the last day. Otherwise it’s merely about batting points for Surrey.

It wasn’t a completely wasted day at Guildford, I’m glad to report. Liz went along for the day, took a couple of pics, and felt very happy even despite the lack of play! Rampants are usually a contended bunch. That said, I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the weather improves tomorrow so that the hard work Surrey put in on day one wasn’t entirely in vain.

Hey, ho! Whilst Surrey endeavour to carry on from their good start I shall be doing my utmost to persuade my mother that she shouldn’t stint when it comes to my birthday! I rather think Surrey will have the better of the argument!

No comments:

Post a Comment